Powered by Blogger

Monday, January 28, 2008

Daily Class Blog 1-28-2008

Today we had quite a day of learning.
Our morning started out with a mini lesson about poetry. We talked about things we have noticed in poetry. It is funny, cool, sometimes rhymes, uses descriptive words, and has interesting punctuation.
In Centers and Guided reading we focused on a few different things:
  • Blogging
  • Poetry
  • Word Families (like -ick can be made into sick or pick)
  • Telling Time with Analog Clocks
  • Letter Teams (like the sound -ight makes)
Writing was also enjoyable today as we continued our study of poetry. I shared a poem of mine that was published a few years ago and that excited the kids to begin writing their own poetry. Each student is expected to publish a poem by the end of the week.

We reviewed symmetry today in math and are making our way to the end of this unit about Shapes, Halves, and Symmetry. Students will be tested on this information next week and then we will start the next math unit about Time Lines and Telling Time.

Economics has been the topic of our social studies hour recently. We are learning a bunch of new vocabulary like: consumer, producer, goods, services, opportunity cost, and scarcity.

Students are using their own flash drives almost daily now to save their work. They have become quite proficient on the computers. I have decided to not do another typing club at school, but would recommend that you have your child continue to practice typing skills at home.

I am still hearing minimal feedback about holding another blogging class for parents and students. Hopefully in the coming weeks I can decided what to do about that, because I would love to have students doing the daily blog. I believe that students really internalize their learning if they have to post about what they did in school.

Keep up the hard work. I appreciate your support.
-Mrs. Biles

No comments: